Thursday, October 7, 2010

My turn



I guess I should 'fess up, since I'm the one who asked.

The best one that I can think of, which I didn't think was naughty at the time, was when Jo and I and next door neighbor E used to ride our bikes to the church parking lot and play Egypt Game behind the bushes. We had a purple plastic juice bottle shaped like a bear named Omar that we pseudo-worshipped. I can't remember much else of what we did back there, but I don't think Mom meant us to be there.

I also remember getting into Mom's medicine cabinet and finding her "eau de toilette," which I translated as "toilet water." Well, that obviously belongs in the toilet, doesn't it? I loved the lily-of-the-valley scent, and I tipped in a few drops whenever I thought I could get away with it, even after Mom once caught me and forbade it.

Another repeated offense with neighbor E and probably Jo was looking for geodes. We'd find a promising-looking rock and hit it with a huge one to see what was inside, but alas, we never found any geodes. Mom, probably worried for our fingers, told us to stop, so we always did it at E's house after that.

Excuse me, I'm going to go see what my kids are up to.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I used to play the Egypt Game too! By myself though, because I was old enough to read it and young enough that none of my friends wanted to.

Jo said...

HOW did I miss this post?

Oh the memories! I can still call to mind the exact smell of the hard-cover version of The Egypt Game from the library. I bet I checked it out more than twenty times.