Friday, June 18, 2010

BLT Spaghetti

I just made this for dinner tonight. Dear husband (what do I call him on this blog? nothing....) requested it, so I made it. It's from the Rachael Ray website, although I didn't follow her recipe exactly.

BLT Spaghetti

1 pound spaghetti
4 thick slices of pancetta (I just used about 6 slices of bacon)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I used a bit more)
1 medium red onion, diced
2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
1/2 cup basil, shredded (I used slightly under 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup parsley, chopped (again, slightly under 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (of course, I probably used more)
2 cups arugula (I used baby spinach)

While pasta water is coming to a boil, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet and add bacon/pancetta. Brown for about 3 minutes. (Cook pasta when water boils.)

Add the garlic and crushed red pepper, and cook about 1-2 minutes. Add red onion and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, some salt, and ground black pepper. Cover and cook about 7-8 minutes, or until the tomatoes burst.

Add spaghetti to skillet along with basil, parsley, and parmesan. Just before serving, top with arugula (or spinach).

Note: This made a lot (you can imagine, 1 lb of spaghetti...) so I put some in the fridge for tomorrow, and froze the rest of it. I can't wait to eat it again!

This was so yummy! I took some (still warm) over to Marmee, and she loved it too! I'm glad I found this just in time for spaghetti week! :) I almost took a picture, but I forgot. Sorry!

1 comment:

John Brooke said...

You could call him Mr. Tupman, since that is Beth's preferred name.